4 Minute Read:
You may have heard the news from friends or online: there’s an option in the world of body contouring called a “Mommy Makeover.” You probably already know it involves plastic surgery. But exactly what is a Mommy Makeover? And can only mothers get one?
Here are the facts on this popular cosmetic surgery choice.
What Is a Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover is a combination plastic surgery option that addresses the areas most affected by pregnancy and/or weight loss. It often involves two popular procedures: a breast altering procedure (augmentation and/or lift [mastopexy], or reduction) and a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).
However, a Mommy Makeover is not limited to these two. In fact, a Mommy Makeover can address any of the following:
- Loose skin on the abdomen and hips
- Excess fat on the lower abdomen, upper abdomen, and/or hips
- Sagging breasts
- Breasts that feel too large or too small
Mommy Makeovers are popular because they help the patient achieve a boost of self-confidence along with a body that is more similar to the one they had pre-pregnancy.
Do You Have to Be a Mom to Get a Mommy Makeover?
Despite the name, you do not need to have experienced pregnancy and childbirth to desire a sleeker, tighter silhouette.
In fact, more women than ever are requesting multiple surgeries to restore a more familiar body like the one they had in the past.
Pregnancy isn’t the only event that causes changes we don’t want, and several factors can impact “Mommy Makeover” areas of the body, including:
- Moderate to substantial weight loss
- The natural aging process
- An area of the body that retains unwanted fat despite one’s weight being in a normal, healthy range
Mommy Makeovers are ideal because they address several areas at once, often in just one surgery. That means only one recovery, which can ultimately mean less downtime.
How Do You Know if You’re a Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
You may be a candidate for a Mommy Makeover if you:
- Are in good health
- Are dissatisfied with one or more areas of your body
- Want better tone/fitness or a more youthful appearance
- Can take a minimum of two weeks off (for most procedures) or as long as your doctor recommends
- Would like to address several issues in one procedure
Why Would Someone Who Isn’t a “Mommy” Want a Mommy Makeover?
The body can go through changes whether you’ve had a baby or not.
Common areas that can become lax over time or due to weight changes include the breasts and abdomen, but it is not uncommon to accumulate fat in the hips, thighs, and buttocks, even with a healthy lifestyle, including a good diet and regular exercise.
When these changes occur, many women desire a body more like the one they used to have. While no surgery can turn back the clock, some or all of the procedures common to Mommy Makeovers can help bring a more youthful look and feel to the body, supporting self-esteem and overall quality of life.
What Procedures Can a Mommy Makeover Involve?
A Mommy Makeover is personalized to the woman getting the procedure. The areas your board-certified plastic surgeon addresses are up to you and them, and your choices can differ from the next woman’s body contouring plan.
Common choices for Mommy Makeovers include:
- Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)
- Breast lift (mastopexy)
- Breast implants/fat transfer breast augmentation
- Breast reduction (reduction mammaplasty)
- Fat spot reduction via liposuction
You will discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon during your initial consultation. At this time, your surgeon will examine you and order certain laboratory tests, such as blood tests.
How Long Does It Take to Recover From a Mommy Makeover?
Your recovery time will depend upon several factors, such as:
- How many procedures you have at the same time
- The extent of each procedure
- Your overall health
- Your adherence to your doctor’s post-surgery instructions
Your doctor can give you detailed information about what you can expect from your Mommy Makeover recovery. You will also schedule post-surgery follow-up visits so they can monitor the recovery process.
By laying out a Mommy Makeover plan and following your plastic surgeon’s instructions, you can achieve a body and self-confidence that help you enjoy life more than ever.